Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup – Tender shredded chicken in a flavorful, cream base with the added texture of sweet carrot morsels, pillowy, luscious potato gnocchis, and nutrient-packed spinach.
Creamy chicken comfort deliciousness for a cozy night in!
This recipe pairs really well with my Crusty Homemade Italian Sub Rolls. Simply slice them in half and spread with a delicious garlicy spread for awesome garlic bread or cut the whole roll into slices and serve slathered with butter.
Mmmmm…Olive Garden’s copycat chicken gnocchi soup! A creamy and delicious comfort soup bite after bite.
It’s that time of year again, the cooler Fall season when soups and stews are a natural go-to in many kitchens. One thing about this easy instant pot chicken and gnocchi soup is you’ll find you won’t just wait for cooler weather to enjoy making and serving it to family and friends.
If the idea of gnocchi seems a little exotic to you, you are among the majority. Not to worry, as soon as you see how easy gnocchi are to cook, you won’t remember why they held such mystery. Especially when they are immersed in a soothing, creamy chicken taste explosion, and with every bite you are enjoying these puffy and delightful little Italian potato dumplings!
Speaking of delightful, isn’t it great to be able to look up your favorite dishes from different restaurants on the Internet? Not only finding this great Olive Garden copycat recipe but finding out how straightforward and convenient this instant pot chicken gnocchi soup is to make at home!
For another example of a delightful taste explosion, check out my Carraba’s Copycat Chicken Bryan.
For now, let’s delve into this surprisingly simple, extremely flavorful, and nutrient-packed instant pot creamy chicken gnocchi copycat soup. But beware, you might be accused of getting take-out from Olive Garden!
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- It’s warm creamy comfort without a trip to Olive Garden
- 30 minute one-pot soup
- Nutrient-rich ingredients
Equipment Needed To Make Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot
- Cutting Board
- Meat Claw Shredder
I really like these items when making Chicken Gnocchi Soup.
- I recommend getting an instant pot that is at least an 8 quart. Trust me, you will thank me later.
- You can never have too mant cutting mats. I like the thin plastic mats. They are a good price, easily washable and come in different colors so you can have ones specicially for poultry, fish, veggies, etc.
- A meat shredder claw is invaluable for shredding chicken for your recioes as well as when cooking pulled pork or barbecue beef.
Instant Pot Ultra 80 Ultra 8 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, and more, Stainless Steel/BlackSimply Genius (8 Piece) Extra Thick Cutting Boards for Kitchen Prep, Non Slip Flexible Cutting Mat Set, Dishwasher Safe, BPA Free Plastic Colorful Chopping Mats for Meat and VegetablesLOPE & NG Meat Handler Shredder Claws Set of 2 – Wood Stainless Steel BBQ Pulled Pork Paws for Shredding Handing Carving Food
Ingredients For Your Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- Onion (diced)
- Minced Garlic
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Chicken Breast
- Milk – If you like a really rich soup (and who doesn’t) use half and hald instead
- Chicken Broth
- Carrots (shredded)
- Fresh Baby Spinach
See recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Saute diced onions in melted butter until translucent. Add in minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute being careful not to burn.
Press cancel on your Instant Pot. Add in your thyme, salt, pepper, broth, and chicken breasts. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Do a quick release, remove chicken, shred and return to pot. Turn pot to saute mode.
In a separate small bowl, mix together your milk and corn starch to create a slurry.
Slowly stir your soup while slowly adding in your slurry.
Add carrots, and gnocchi. Allow them to cook for about 5 minutes or until done.
Add in spinach and allow to cook for about 1 minute until wilted.
Hint: If using frozen gnocchi, be sure to thaw before adding to pot.
If you know how to make the recipe fit a certain diet, let the reader know here. Don’t fake it – only provide guidance on topics you have actual experience with.
- Spinach – substitute with kale if you like
- Chicken – if you happen to have leftover chicken from a previous meal, you can substitute it for the fresh. Or, a rotisserie chicken will work too. You can even replace the chicken with Italian Sausage. Just be sure to pre-cook the sausage first.
- Gnocchi – The mini gnocchi works the best in this recipe to give you the bite size but you can use the regular size too. You can even swith it out to using rice or a small shell pasta if you like. Or, why not try making your own homemade gnocchi?
Even if your reader doesn’t follow a specific diet (eg. gluten free), they may have friends or family that they’re cooking for that could use this. This is also a great idea to link out to another blogger with a similar recipe that fits a different diet.
What To Serve/Pair With Your Copycat Olive Garden Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Cheese Sticks or
- Toasted Ravioli
- Copycat Olive Garden Bread Sticks
- Simple Ceaser Salad
- Antipasto Salad
Freezing the Leftover Gnocchi Soup
You can freeze this soup in individual airtight containers for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, allow to thaw, then reheat in microwave in short increments of about 30 seconds each until desired temperature.
Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi SoupFAQs
What is gnocchi? [pronounced nah-key]
Gnocchi, potato gnocchi in this recipe, is a simple Italian bite-sized dumpling made from flour, egg yolk, and potato. Packaged gnocchi are wonderfully easy to cook as they take only a few minutes and will float to the top of your cooking liquid, so you know precisely when they are done.
Many variations/flavors of gnocchi are available: spinach, pumpkin, ricotta, and even gnocchi made from bread or pasta. The spinach and pumpkin both have a potato base, whereas the others do not.
How long will this instant pot creamy chicken gnocchi soup stay good in the refrigerator?
Three or four days in the fridge is about the shelf life of a creamed soup. To maintain the creamy soup base integrity and increase its longevity, only reheat what you need at one time and not the entire leftover portion.
Also, you should note that the gnocchi in the soup will become quite soft and, in some cases, may fall apart altogether the longer they sit.
How do I keep the gnocchis in the Olive Garden copycat chicken gnocchi leftovers from getting too soft?
The most common solution to this problem is to only cook enough gnocchi that you need for each meal. If you have any [leftovers], cook a fresh batch of gnocchi and add to your already made base when reheating the chicken gnocchi soup.
Pro-tip: When reheating for another meal, garnish with some green onion rings and crunchy bacon bits to add texture and a touch of salty, smokey flavor.
Can I substitute kale for the spinach in Instant Pot chicken gnocchi soup?
Absolutely, just remember that kale has a stronger taste and texture than spinach. If you prefer your kale to be softer and reduced down, add at the same time you add the carrots.
Can I use leftover turkey in this Olive Garden copycat chicken gnocchi soup?
Yes! Instead of shredding your leftover turkey, simply dice it up. It takes approximately 3 ¼ cups of diced turkey to be equivalent to 1lb of meat.
Olive Garden Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot
- Cutting Boards
- Meat Claw Shredder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ white onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon powdered garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 large carrots (coarsely shredded)
- 16 ounces potato gnocchi (uncooked)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Turn your Instant Pot on to sauté mode. Add in your butter. Once fully melted, add in your onions. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add your minced garlic to your onions for about 1 minute. Enough to release the flavor, but not to burn them (they are quick to burn).
- Press cancel on your Instant Pot.
- Add in your thyme, salt, pepper, broth, and chicken breasts.
- Place the lid on your Instant Pot. Close the sealing valve. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Once time is done, do a quick release by opening the pressure valve to release all the pressure.
- Remove your cooked chicken breasts. Shred and then transfer back to your pot liner.
- Turn your Instant Pot on to sauté mode.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together your milk and corn starch to create a slurry.
- Slowly stir your soup while slowly adding in your slurry.
- Add in your carrots, and gnocchi. Allow them to cook for about 5 minutes or until done.
- Add spinach and allow them to cook and wilt into the soup. This should take about 1 minute.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you love soups, check out these recipes for more homemade yumminess.
We sometimes take for a granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience, that the average visitor may not. Add to, or remove from, the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove