Chocolate-Dipped Orange Slices. The perfect treat for anytime you want an extra special treat. Chewy, candied oranges, dipped in silky smooth chocolate are easy to make and require only a few ingredients.
Ingredients Needed For Chocolate Dipped Orange Slices
- Chocolate Chips or Pieces (milk chocolate or dark)
- Sea Salt
Equipment Used For Chocolate Dipped Orange Slices
- Mandoline or Knife
- Cooling Rack
- Waxed Paper
* This post may contain affiliate links which means if you purchase through my link, I will earn a small commission.
Preparing Chocolate Covered Candied Orange Slices
- I prefer to use navel oranges to avoid biting into a seed when enjoying these awesomely yummy orange slices. Slice the orange into approximately nine thicker slices. Using my trusty mandoline slicer makes the job easier and helps to keep the slices even. You can discard the end pieces unless you want to use them too. It’s a preference, just like some folks like bread end pieces and some don’t.
- Mix sugar and water together in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until dissolved.
- Reduce heat to low and add orange slices. Simmer for approximately 45-60 minutes, flipping over occasionally until oranges are translucent in color.
- Remove slices to a wire cooling rack to dry. Turn occasionally to dry evenly. Oranges will remain slightly sticky.
- Melt chocolate, either in the microwave or on stovetop according to package directions.
- Dip orange slices into the melted chocolate, going halfway up the orange, or more if you really love chocolate (and, who doesn’t)?
- Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired.
- Place on waxed paper to allow chocolate to set.
- Chocolate Orange Slices can be stored between layers of waxed paper in the refrigerator or freezer.
Recipe For Chocolate Dipped Orange Slices
Chocolate Dipped Orange SlicesPrint Pin Rate
- 1 Large Navel Orange thin-skinned works best
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Morsels dark or milk chocolate
- Coarse Salt
- Wash the orange well, Dry thoroughly with paper towel or dishcloth.
- Slice orange into approximately 9-10 pieces. Slices should be on the thicker side. A mandoline works well for this. Discard the end pieces.
- Add sugar and water in the wide-bottom stockpot, stirring well. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved completely.
- Reduce heat to low. Add orange slices to the pot and simmer until orange slices are translucent in color. Flip slices occasionally during the simmer. This process should take approximately 45-6o minutes.
- Transfer orange slices to a wire cooling rack, sprayed with a non-stick spray. Allow slices to dry, flipping occasionally. Oranges will be a bit sticky.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave, checking and stirring every 15 seconds. You can also melt on your stovetop, following package instructions.
- Dip orange slices into the melted chocolate, then place on wax paper. At this time, you can sprinkle the salt on the chocolate covered orange slices before the chocolate cools.
- Chocolate covered orange slices can be stored between sheets of the wax paper in the freezer or refrigerator.
Tips For Orange Slices Dipped In Chocolate
- Use seedless oranges
- The type of chocolate to use is really a preference thing. Dark, milk or white chocolate works equally well.
- You can store in your refrigerator or freezer for later use if you can resist eating them all.
- Chocolate candied oranges are perfect to serve for holiday get to gathers or parties such as Super Bowl or game night.
- Serve the candied orange slices on a pretty tray along with an assortment of nuts, cookies and fresh fruits.