What Is Bread Pudding?
A classic bread pudding consists of cubed bread mixed in a custard base. The custard typically consists of milk, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Many things can be added to this classic mixture, such as with this Apple Bread Pudding Recipe.
Apple Bread Pudding
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 5 large eggs
- 2 c whole milk (can use 2% but will be less rich)
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 tbls. vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 pieces bread (toasted)
- 1/2 cup apple (chopped) Granny Smith apples are my favorite for this recipe.
- 1/2 cup raisins Regular raisins or golden raisins work equally well.
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans for topping
- Peel and dice 1/2 cup apples. Set the apples and raisins aside.
- Combine the sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Butter one side of each piece of the toast.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture onto each piece of the buttered, toasted bread. Be sure to use all the mixture.
- Sandwich two pieces together, the sugared side facing in. Do all the pieces.
- Cut each sandwich into four squares. You can trim the crusts off if you wish. I leave mine on.
- Place into prepared 8 x 8 baking dish that has been sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray. The squares should be in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the 1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup diced apples over top of the toast squares.
- Whip the 5 eggs in a bowl or large mixing cup. You just want to make sure they are mixed well.
- Combine the 12 oz. can evaporated milk, 2 cups regular milk and 1 T. vanilla with the beaten eggs.
- Pour milk mixture over the toast squares evenly.
- Bake in a 350-degree pre-heated oven for approx. 45 min. Start checking it after 30 minutes as all ovens tend to vary. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean when it is done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- When ready to serve, you can top with a caramel or butterscotch ice cream topping. A dollop of whipped cream finishes this yummy dessert nicely.
Old Fashioned Apple Bread Pudding
Nothing says yummy like a warm apple bread pudding. This rich, creamy dessert has a sweet spiciness that is pure comfort food heaven.
Which Apples Are Best for Old Fashioned Apple Bread Pudding?
I like to use Granny Smith apples because they provide a nice tart contrast to the sweet pudding. Honey Crisp Apples are also excellent. They are crisp with a sweet, slightly spicy flavor. You can really use the apple of your choice. All will work well.
What Bread Can be Used in Apple Bread Pudding?
Most bread can be used in Bread Pudding. It’s best to use unsliced bread, slicing to your desired thickness. Pull out your stale bread and use it. Your Bread Pudding will not care and will turn it into something amazing.
- Regular White or Wheat Bread
- Italian and French Bread
- Brioche – the classic bread for bread pudding. It contains butter and eggs, making it extra rich. Its tight crumb holds together well during baking.
Toppings and Sauces for Bread Pudding
- Ice Cream Toppings such as Butterscotch or Caramel are really good on the top of bread pudding
- Sauces for bread pudding include rum sauce, bourbon sauce, chocolate sauce, and vanilla. You can make so many sauces just by changing up the flavoring in a standard sauce. Amish Peanut Butter Spread is really yummy on top of Apple Bread Pudding.
- Ice Cream is good with most anything but especially good served with this creamy homemade bread pudding.
There is so much to love about homemade bread pudding. The rich, creamy taste of this comfort food is, of course, the obvious reason to serve homemade bread pudding. But this recipe is also so convenient and economical since it uses ingredients often on hand. It’s a tasty dessert you can pull together at the last minute for unexpected guests or family parties. Just whip it up, plate it up, garnish, and enjoy. Your family or guests will think you are an awesome baker.