Amish White Bread is a slightly sweet, fine-textured, yeasty bread. It is easy to prepare and is equally awesome as a side, toasted or in a sandwich. Amish White Bread slices and freezes well.
Amish White Yeast Bread Recipe
This Amish White Bread is from Ohio's Amish Country. The bread is easy to make and, rises nicely and has a slightly sweet taste that compliments the yeasty flavor.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 16 people
- Bread Pans
- Instant Read Thermometer
- Stand Mixer
- 1-1/4 c milk heated to 110 degrees
- 3/4 c water heated to 110 degrees
- 2/3 c sugar
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast 2 packets
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 5-1/4 c bread flour
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Ingredients for Amish White Bread
- Dissolve the warm milk, warm sugar, yeast and ginger in mixing bowl of table top mixer. Stir lightly and allow to sit until the liquid becomes foamy (about 10 minutes.)
- With a hand whisk, stir in 1 cup of flour.
- Add the salt and 4 tbsp. melted butter and mix well.
- Attach bread hook to mixer and add flour, one cup at a time until dough ball forms.
- Continue to mix with dough hook for approx. 5 minutes.
- Remove dough ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or clean dish towel and allow to rise until double in size.
- When doubled in size, punch dough down and remove to lightly floured surface.
- Knead by hand for several minutes to remove air bubbles.
- Divide dough in half and shape into loaves. Place in greased pans, cover and let rise until about 1-1/2 inches above rim when looking at center of loaf.
- Bake on center rack of a 350 degree oven for approx. 30 minutes. You can check doneness by lightly tapping on the top of loaf. It will sound hollow when it is done.
- Cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then remove from pan to wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 29mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 139IU | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg